In today’s modern world, the need to look beautiful is evergrowing. From the clothes you wear to your shoes, your body and even your smile – people notice everything! That is why there has been an unprecedented rise in the demand for cosmetic treatment in the UK. Among these cosmetic treatments, dermal fillers are routinely used for treating facial aesthetic problems such as wrinkles, creases, and sagging skin. So, if you are also one of those who feel self-conscious around people because of their facial defects, dermal fillers are the answer to your cosmetic problems.
But, “what are dermal fillers and are they safe?” you might ask. Well, the answer to these questions and many others lies in this article. So, continue reading to find out everything you need to know about dermal fillers and their use for smile enhancement.
What Are Dermal Fillers Used For?
According to the British College of Aesthetic Medicine, dermal fillers or injectable fillers are materials that are used for improving the appearance of the skin and restoring skin volume. For example, facial dermal fillers are used to smooth facial wrinkles and creases and to volume or “plump up” the skin by filling the contours, restoring facial aesthetics and making one look younger and prettier.
Some of the common uses of dermal fillers are to improve:
- Facial lines wrinkles
- Deep smile lines across the corners of the mouth
- Vertical “smokers lines” on the upper lips
- Lip unevenness and volume
- Acne scare
- Appearance and shape of the nose
How Long Will Dermal Fillers Last?
Dermal fillers are not permanent and will require re-treatment after some time. However, high-quality dermal fillers injected by an experienced cosmetic specialist produce better results and last longer than regular ones. According to the National Health Service (NHS). Dermal fillers can last anywhere between 6 and 18 months. Their lifetime also depends on the type of filler used for dermal treatment.
What Is The Difference Between Dermal Fillers And Botox?
Although the function of is the same, i.e., to improve skin appearance and volume, they work differently. For example, botox or botulinum injection contains purified bacteria that freeze the facial muscles, thereby helping in minimising the skin creases and lines around the face. On the other hand, dermal fillers contain ingredients that physically add volume to the skin, thereby reducing wrinkles and treating sagging skin.
Do Dermal Fillers Really Help In Removing Wrinkles?
Dermal fillers add volume to the skin and remove wrinkles and creases around the face. The fact that dermal fillers physically remove facial defects by adding sufficient volume to the skin shows their effectiveness in improving one’s appearance. Different dermal fillers are used by cosmetic specialists, such as hyaluronic acid and collagen-based dermal fillers, all of which have been proven to provide excellent aesthetic results.
How Does Dermal Filler Work On The Face?
Dermal fillers are directly injected into the skin. The procedure is painless at takes around 20-30 minutes to complete, depending on the area being treated. Once the fillers are injected, they add volume to the skin and remove creases and wrinkles, thereby rejuvenating the skin.
What Are The Expected Results Of A Dermal Filler Treatment?
Unlike Botox injections, dermal fillers take time to provide their aesthetic results. Similarly, the skin-rejuvenating effects of dermal fillers last longer than botox. Please keep in mind that slight swelling and discomfort are not uncommon for the next 24-48 hours after the procedure, which gradually decreases over time. For best results, physicians advise against doing heavy physical work or weight lifting for the next 72 hours after the procedure. Similarly, alcohol intake should be avoided for the next 24 hours post-operatively.
How To Prolong Dermal Fillers And Make Them Last A Long Time?
Like botox, dermal fillers are not permanent. However, there are ways in which you can prolong their life and aesthetic results, such as:
- Avoid Putting Pressure on the first day of the injection, avoid touching your face or applying pressure. Similarly, you should try avoiding sleeping on the sides, as it may result in the movement of the fillers away from the treatment site.
- Stay Hydrated – Staying hydrated reduces facial wrinkles and maintains the injections. In addition to drinking water, you should use topical hydration sources such as moisturisers to reduce inflammation and accelerate healing.
- Avoid UV Exposure – excessive exposure to UV rays can reverse the effects of cosmetic treatment. That is why, you should avoid exposure to the sun after dermal filler treatment and use high-quality sunscreen when going out.
- Eat Right – avoiding a carbohydrate-rich diet and processed food helios in subsiding the inflammation and accelerating the overall healing process.
- Avoid Stress – Stress is a common factor in our routine life. While it is impossible to eliminate it, we should find ways to rescue it as much as possible. Excessive stress results in the release of a hormone called cortisol, which accelerates the ageing process. So, by avoiding stress, you can enhance the lifetime of dermal fillers.
If you search the internet for dermal fillers, you will find numerous practices providing this service. However, you must visit a qualified and trained esthetic medicine specialist or dentist for your filler treatment, to ensure long-lasting results and safety. So, if you live in Oxford or neighbouring areas, you visit The Smile Practice for all your facial aesthetic treatment needs, where all services are available under one roof. So, what are you waiting for? Book a free video consultation appointment with us today, and let us give you a lasting and healthy smile.